Monday, March 21, 2011

He about leaked his knickers.

If you read laurens blog as well as mine this post may be a tad redundant...

The title of this blog is merely one saying I heard while visiting Ireland and believe me, it is one I will never forget. My best friend, Lauren, is studying abroad in Ireland for the entire semester and I decided that 5 months without seeing my “kindred soul” (inside joke I promise I wont reference too many) was not an option…plus who doesn’t want to frolic through one of the greenest places I have ever seen with your best friend.

This was my first time in Europe and I had no idea what to expect. I wasn’t nervous flying by myself but more excited about the unknown (of course). I loved the idea of flying into Paris and knowing enough French to get by without looking too American J. The initial contrast I noticed between Europe and Boston was just how easy going and friendly everyone was. Not that Bostonians aren’t friendly but id say there is a fast pace ”got to run!” mentality that even I often fall into. The moment I stepped on the plane in Paris I was talking to some businessman. Call me naive--an American girl traveling alone to Europe talking to a strange man--but he was quite entertaining and no Liam Nelson skills were required.

Once arriving in Ireland I caught a bus to Galway where Lauren is studying. Being the “coffee addict” that I am I had to get a quick cup before boarding the bus. This is where I instantly gave away my American background. I asked the barista why they had no black coffee on the menu. He giggled at me and went “oh you Americans…that’s why this one (pointing to the Americano) is named after you.” However, this was thesecond best coffee I have ever tasted (Ethiopian coffee can kick some serious coffee bum.) So, coffee in tow I now boarded the bus to meet up with Lauren.

I love taking the T and the bus throughout Boston but I do say that Ireland has a much prettier view out the window. The landscape reminded me a lot of Indiana. Lush green grounds contrasting with bright blue skies spotted with little labs and cows all around. There wasn’t really an “ah”moment right off the bat but boy did I bite my words once arriving gin Galway. It is nothing and I do mean absolutely nothing like Indiana. There were pubs on every corner and no matter how hard you tried a Guinness sign was always in sight. By the way incase you were unaware a pub is not synonymous with restaurant in Ireland…but it’s a pub. For some reason that didn’t click with me until my last few days in Ireland.

Fast-forward to the night…we walk into the pub sit down and I immediately know what I want-fish and chips. DELISHIOUS. Best fish and chips I have ever had…well aside from the fact it might have been the only time id had fish and chips. Then my bulmers came. Bulmers tastes almost like apple juice with sprite that is spiked with some sort of cider alcohol. Lauren said they have something similar in the states but in Ireland it’s better. I tried Guinness the same night and while I am the furthest thing from a beer drinker it wasn’t too bad. It didn’t have me rushing to the nearest glass of water to rinse out the awful after taste you often find with a bud light. The other drink I came to love was a called a snakebite. It consisted of bulmers, a splash of beer, and a little fruity alcohol called blackcurrant…these little beggars will sneak up on you!

Paying for drinks later in the evening was where I noticed another difference. My purse was gradually getting heavier and heavier and I couldn’t understand why. I then realized I had about 12 euro in change rolling around. I didn’t really realize that a 2-euro coin was just as valuable so I kept throwing them into my bag. However, I loved paying for some drinks in coins because it was such a foreign feeling I felt like I wasn’t spending money.

The other difference I noticed was the men in Ireland. Not always but I feel some bars or clubs in America tend to be a waterhole for single people looking to have a good time and maybe get a little lucky-just base of off some experience I have had. Pubs in Ireland on the other hand are not as centered on meeting a mate but more mingling and talking. It was fun people watching and having the bartender know a lot of the customers by name. There was no random couple making out in the corner and there was certainly no grinding or provocative dancing. It was quite refreshing sitting at a bar and just talking with a whole bunch of random strangers.

Lauren was a fantastic tour guide. I got to see a variety of places within Ireland (which ill eventually blog about individually) but I didn’t feel worn out. We saw Connemara and the Kylemore Abbey, Cliffs of Moher, a variety of castles…my favorite being a fairytale castle and the Blarney Castle, then on our final day we roamed around the Temple Bar area doing a food crawl. We got to eat out at a lot of different pubs and cafes and tried a lot of yummy new foods. One interesting aspect about pubs in Ireland is the age difference among the patrons. The bars I’ve been to in Boston (granted it’s a scarce amount) are generally one age group. In Ireland there were people younger than me mingling with people who reminded me of my grandpa.

This post could go on for hours and my guess is with the other “what I did in Ireland” posts to come it will be hours so ill leave you with some of my favorite sayings of the week. Granted they are not all Irish themed but they definitely gave Lauren and I a good laugh. “Cheeky Bastard” was an hourly occurrence. “Rubbish.” ”Blyme.” “Two Bulmers please” was said commonly. “Cheerio” (not the cereal.) “Cheers.” “Slanche.” And my very favorite saved for last, mainly due to its relevance, it was semi relatable and incredibly hilarious…“He about leaked his knickers.“

No comments:

Post a Comment